It’s not quite 2 months since I went to the doctors with my self diagnosed Vaginal Atrophy. Back in January, before I spoke to Louise from Rejuvage I was incredibly worried that something was wrong with me.
I hadn’t been sexually active with a partner for over 3 years until having a catch up with an old flame which turned out to be a bit of a disaster on my part. After reading up on line and making the decision, I went to the doctors confirmed my self diagnosis. I was prescribed Vagifem, a 2-week course of a pessary everyday, then one pessary twice a week on a repeat prescription. I have made great progress! With the help of the pessary’s and a routine of self satisfaction, I now feel as though everything is starting to relax and become more lubricated naturally.
Another little self help experiment I have tried which I feel has helped significantly is using natural vitamin E oil with a varied amount of toys, rather than KY Jelly or other lubes. I feel now that my body is finally working with me again, even with a little help, but that’s life for us ladies.
I’m not shy about talking about my Vaginal Atrophy. I have spoken openly to my friends and the word is out and it’s interesting to know how many ladies there are out there who have similar symptoms! One friend of mine told me her story. Unlike me, she has had 2 kids and enjoyed a regular sex life but when the menopausal years hit her she encountered the same concerns as i had. She also took Vagifem with good results.
I feel lucky that I haven’t suffered as badly as some others. However my initial concerns were rather scary but I dealt with it in my usual positive attitude. I know will get over this I am convinced the next time I get to play with my the old flame we will have the same fun we had many years ago!
Treating Vaginal Dryness
- Use water-based lubricants before sex – put these in and around your vagina or on your partner’s penis
- Use vaginal moisturisers for vaginal dryness – you can put these inside your vagina to keep it moist
- Avoid any other creams or lotions that arent specifically for your vagina as it can cause infections
- Use unperfumed soaps and washes around your vagina. Don’t use any douches in your vagina.
- Try to enjoy more foreplay so you feel more aroused during sex
- Enjoy some ‘self love’ to keep everything lubricated!