Happy Birthday to Madonna, my icon.
I have always loved her attitude, her individuality and the way she redefines the status quo. Since the moment I first saw her on the TV in my bedroom in 1984, through going into labour on her Drowned World Tour in 2001, to seeing her in 2016 on the Rebel Heart Tour in London, she has always been an inspiration in my life.
It has not always been cool to admit to being a Madonna fan, unlike Bowie. Madonna has more vocal critics than the rest, but in true Madonna style she has spoken out against them, like her inspiring speech at Billboards Awards in December 2016 when named woman of the year:
“Thank you for acknowledging my ability to continue my career for 34 years in the face of blatant sexism and misogyny and constant bullying and relentless abuse….
At 60 Madonna looks hotter than ever. She provocatively performs on stage and her posts on Instagram ooze sexuality with her toned body and smile. She has broken down cultural ageing stereotypes and proves #ageisjustanumber.
So how has she done it:
- Attitude – she has lived by her own rules, is confident, creative and unconventional. Her life is full of love as you can see from the photos of adopted twins Esher and Stella.
- Clean Eating – she has never been an addict and eats a healthy macrobiotic diet consisting mainly of whole grains and organic, locally grown and seasonal vegetables.
- Exercises – rumour has it she can exercise up to five times a day with her personal trainer and mixes up her routine with yoga, running, weights and boxing.
- Beauty secrets – she launched her own skincare range MDNA in 2014 and is believed to experiment with many treatments including fillers, botox, threading but denies to all the critics going under the knife.
- Sexual – she breaks sexual boundaries, kisses younger men and women on stage and proves that being sexually active and attractive is ageless.
- Menopause – the menopause did not slow her down, she has done some of her best tours in the last 10 years.
- Reinvention – she is the queen of reinvention. Her music and her style are constantly changing and defying expectations of what it means to be a woman.
- Independent – financially and emotionally she is strong and independent, protecting her family and being an awesome role model on what you can achieve.
Age Defying – She is fearless and ageless, doing a big bold countdown to her 60 on Instagram, wearing cake on her head and ageing her way. Being over 40/50/60 does not mean you have to conform and go grey as is the new social pressure. Flaunting lots of flesh, dating younger men and ageing without boundaries is the way forward
The queen of pop proves that age is irrelevant, you can look hotter than ever over 50, 60, and 70 than you did at 30. Madonna has won, she has proved to the world that beauty and individuality are ageless. You can still get your nipples out in your 50s, you are still sexual and most of all authentic. Madonna at 60 is breaking down social barriers on age, sexuality, menopause and showing that with attitude and a little help being hot is ageless.