What is breast reduction?
Breast reduction is a procedure that removes excess tissue, fat and skin from your breasts to reduce your chest size. This procedure can help stop the side effects of large breasts and can give your breasts a visible lift. The surgery usually lasts around 3 hours.
What types of breast reduction are available?
Liposuction for breast reduction is most suitable for those that would like a moderate breast reduction, and younger skin with little to no sagging. This option leaves almost no scarring and can give breasts a natural lift due to the reduced weight and the elasticity of the skin to contract to a smaller more uplifted shape.
If you require a moderate reduction but you do have sagging skin this option is best for you as it removes excess fat, skin and breast tissue to reshape the breast smaller and give it more of a lift.
This procedure is an option for large amounts of tissue removal, large breast reductions or to improve large amounts of sagging. This option is the most invasive but can correct considerable asymmetry between breasts and can give a much-needed lift to the skin with the removal of the excess tissue.
Is breast reduction for you?
Before choosing to have breast reduction surgery, you need to consider:
- Do your breasts cause you backache/neck pain?
- Do you get rashes, sweating or infections under your breasts?
- Do your breasts affect your posture?
- Are you comfortable with a significant change to the shape and look of your breasts?
- Are you comfortable with scarring on your breasts?
- Do you plan to breastfeed your children?
- Have you tried to lose weight?
- Have you tried a professional bra fitting service?
- Have you tried physiotherapy?
You should always speak to your surgeon about all of these things in the consultation, before going ahead with the surgery.